Somers Congregational Church
A marble plaque was presented to the Somers Congregational Church on October 25, 1942, for the celebration of the 100th Anniversary of the meeting house.
The Somers Church was destroyed by fire on January 1, 2012. The plaque was recreated and the dedication ceremony was held on September 21, 2014.
On January 9, 1928, a special sign was erected at Bridge Lane and Enfield Street. Bridge Lane was the road that led to the old covered bridge that crossed the Connecticut River between Enfield and Suffield. The bridge was washed away during the great flood of 1901.
The marker appears to have been removed and has not been located.
Our chapter gavel is made from one of the oak wooden pins used in this bridge.
Old Enfield Bridge
Unknown Revolutionary War Soldier
On October 3, 1929, was the unveiling of a marker for the grave of an Unknown Revolutionary War soldier in the King Street Cemetery.
The granite boulder with a bronze marker was placed to honor Dr. Edward Field Parsons, a leading Enfield physician. It was dedicated on May 30, 1934.
Born Nov 21, 1833 Died June 15, 1912
A LOYAL SON OF ENFIELD, HE CONTRIBUTED
HIS FULL SHARE TO THE SOCIAL, POLITICAL
AND RELIGIOUS LIFE OF THE TOWN.
THIS TABLET IS PLACED BY THE LIFE LONG
FRIENDS IN MEMORY OF ONE OF ENFIELD'S
FOREMOST CITIZENS, GREATLY BELOVED
AND RESPECTED BY ALL CLASSES. PHYSICIAN,
SCHOLAR, MUSICIAN AND A MAN OF
Memorial for Dr. Edward Parsons
Second Meeting House
On 1931, Penelope Terry Abbey Chapter erected this boulder on the west side of Enfield Street, almost in front of what is now the Montessori School.
The boulder marks the location where Jonathan Edwards preached his celebrated sermon "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God."
A special bronze plaque on the headstone marks the grave of the organizing regent of Penelope Terry Abbey Chapter, Mrs. Jessie Brainard Abbe.
Mrs. Abbe served four years as regent and was made an honorary regent as she continued serving in many other offices until her death on March 2, 1955.
TO HONOR THE MEMORY OF THE
FOUNDERS OF THE TOWN OF ENFIELD
WHO, LED BY JOHN PEASE, JR. AND
HIS BROTHER, ROBERT, MADE THE
FIRST SETTLEMENT IN
NEAR THIS SITE
THE FIRST CHURCH BUILDING
IN ENFIELD WAS ERECTED
BY PIONEER SETTLERS IN
The marble seat marks the grave of Penelope Terry Abbey in the Enfield Street Cemetery. The marker was not placed by our chapter. However, our chapter was named in her honor, so we have always had a special feeling for this spot.
The seat was given by Alden Freeman of New Jersey, who was a great, great grandson of Captain Thomas Abbey and Penelope.
The seat was put in place shortly after the November 4, 1916 dedication of the Captain Thomas Abbey Memorial, which stands in front of the Enfield Congregational Church.
White Marble Seat
Enfield Street Cemetery
Our chapter's special project in recognition of the 250th Anniversary of Enfield in 1931 was the placing of two bronze markers at the entrance of Enfield Street Cemetery.
These markers and plaques were placed by the Penelope Terry Abbey Chapter designating local historic spots and events.
888 Griffiths Way,
888 Griffiths Way,